Saturday, January 23, 2010

My unplanned overthrow of Rwanda!

BY JOHN NAGENDA
The New Vision
January 22, 2010

AGE is just a number, perhaps, but it is also felt in the muscles, sinews, and bones: to say nothing of hearts and brains. Your columnist’s mind continually dwells on the happy day, not too many years hence, when Autumn is fully fledged within him and he can concentrate on his First Love, Writing.

Let piece after piece come, if not tumbling out like a new-born lamb, but at least with the measured step that looking back should achieve. But Life never fails to spring surprises when least expected.

On December 23 last year (incidentally my brother Stephen’s entry into the 70s) his son William, living in the United States, agitatedly phoned me that he had come across news that I was among those planning the overthrow of President Kagame of Rwanda.

Reader, I sat down and laughed! 256News.Com had brought out the report and William emailed it rightaway. A certain Godwin Agaba, new name to me, wrote: “It has emerged, following a leak by security sources…a copy…has some of the names…behind the Green Party of Rwanda [who] have been coordinating clandestinely through emails and phone calls to wrestle president Kagame out of power in 2010…It has John Nagenda [256News.Com’s emphasis throughout], a senior adviser to President Museveni to be related to some of the big names behind the Green Party formation.

According to the brief, Nagenda is a maternal uncle to interim Green party Frank Habineza president, and it is Nagenda who paid Habineza’s school fees in his schooldays. Another fact is that Nagenda is a long-time and a close friend to Charles Kabanda who is Green party general secretary and Gen Kayumba Nyamwasa, who is currently Rwandan ambassador to India and a former RDF chief of staff, who is also on the list.

There follows a list of more than a dozen heavy-sounding Rwandans, many of them military. My first and abiding sentiment was one of total incredulity. How preposterous a notion! Many years ago, Uganda and Rwanda used to meet to iron out their differences, laughably chaired by comparative nonentities in the British government. I would have exchanged a joke or two with Nyamwasa. I have never heard of him since. As for Kabanda, his name doesn’t ring a bell, although I might have talked to him without remembering the name. “It was all a long time ago, and in another country…”

Frank Habineza, I know, he worked in my house at Namutamba, on our estate, perhaps 20 years ago. I did help with his school fees. A maternal uncle of his, I have never been. Since he left for Rwanda, I have seen him a few times; the last of which he brought his fiancée for introduction. It is, however, true that from time to time he sent me emails about his life in Rwanda, latterly one or two about the Green Party. I must confess I have not taken his party very seriously. I dimly recall some years ago advising Habineza to stick to work and forget politics. He never struck me as a leader of men, as the saying went!

Funnily enough I was thinking of visiting Rwanda (where I was born in ’38 when my parents were missionaries there). Oh well, another time perhaps.

Related Materials:
Green Party officials react on Intelligence report

Rwandan Green Party fear oppression from the undemocratic Rwandan government as mysterious "leaked" report appears

PRESS RELEASE FROM DEMOCRATIC GREEN PARTY OF RWANDA

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home