Friday, February 5, 2010

Security Threat to Frank HABINEZA, President of the Democratic Green Party of Rwanda

Democratic Green Party of Rwanda
Press Release
5 February 2010

On Thursday 4th February 2010, around 15:30 hrs at Hotel Leprentemps in Kimironko, Kigali, I was intimidated and threatened by an unknown man whom I suspect to be a security operative.

I went to the hotel to meet a colleague: Jean Paul MUDAHERANWA aka. Sunday. When I arrived, I observed the presence of two other men. One of them left in about 10 minutes.

Shortly thereafter, the other unknown man who remained behind, well-dressed, presumed to be in his late thirties, brown and tall, suddenly stood up and walked towards me. He said in a rather strong voice, “Frank, why don’t you recruit me in your party?." I responded to him that it was no problem, and asked him his name, but he declined to tell me.

He then continued, “Frank, we know whatever you are doing, we are following you very closely, remember, we paid school fees for you (meaning government bursary at University). Why are you fighting us? What do you want from that woman Victoire Ingabire? Be very careful, we are monitoring you very closely….”

I was disturbed by his abrupt aggressiveness and reference to what I had done two days ago and what I was to do later on Thursday evening. I was very surprised because the two events he referred to were factual.

I responded to him that I am not an enemy of the state in any way and having different ideas from the ruling party does not make am an enemy of President Kagame or the RPF. I also pointed out to him that Victoire was given a Rwandan passport and National ID by the government and that if had they believed she was a state enemy, they should have not given them to her………….. , so they should stop intimidating people like this.

This incident follows Victoire Ingabire's attack on Wednesday 3rd February 2010, where her passport and ID were stolen. Her aide Joseph Ntawangundi was seriously beaten and injured. Several other forms of intimidation and harassment have also been directed at members of the Democratic Green Party of Rwanda since 30th October 2009 during our Party congress that was sabotaged violently. They were detailed in an official press release issued on 24th December 2009.

This morning, 5th February 2010, I reported the matter to the Remera Police Station and will make a follow up later in the day.

I would like to appeal to the Government of Rwanda to take these matters very seriously and ensure the security of all Rwandans, especially in the opposition political parties, during the presidential elections period.

I would also like to emphasize that being in an opposition political party does not qualify someone as an enemy of the state. Disagreeing on some issues with the current regime in power does not make one an enemy of the government.

The time has come for Rwandans to have mature, democratic politics. Politics that will ensure the sustainable development of Rwanda, a Rwanda that is free from poverty, fear and harassment. A Rwanda that fully recognizes freedom of press, expression and association.


Done in Kigali on 5th February 2010,

Frank HABINEZA
Founding President, Democratic Green Party of Rwanda
President, African Greens Movement ( AfGM)
Co-Africa Representative to Global Greens Coordination (GGC)
Mob: + 250 78 85 630 39

Email: fhabineza@africangreens.org
http://www.rwandagreendemocrats.org/
http://www.africangreens.org/
http://www.globalgreens.org/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home